Thursday, September 15, 2011

planes are like babies...

My fear of flying is much like my fear of giving birth.

When the process starts, I remind myself over and over that people do this all of the time without any problems at all. It's a pretty natural thing. That should comfort me and I should be perfectly fine.

But I'm not.

I'm not perfectly fine because there have been a few (comparatively speaking) instances where it went wrong. It would only have taken one mishap for me to be frightened. A few mishaps have been enough to make me terrified.

Most likely, when I get on a plane tomorrow morning, I'm going to go through all of this in my mind. Most likely, I'll arrive at my destination in normal fashion. But I'm still going to be scared to get on the next plane.

3 comments:

  1. I take it I should NOT take this as a pregnancy announcement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...nope! :-) I knew someone would think that, but nope, just an analogy. My in-the-future-sometime pregnancy announcement will be MUCH more specific!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to take happy pills to fly. I went from flying about once every five years to flying five times (to Guatemala) in two years. I just hold my breath and pray a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete