Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sorrowful, Yet Always Rejoicing

Sunday, May 1
9:15pm

I read on Twitter that the President was scheduled to speak at 9:30 and that we had no idea why. I was intrigued. I asked Ryan to switch over to Fox News.

9:25pm

My heart was racing. Geraldo Rivera was telling us that this kind of announcement was unprecedented and that it was a major development in the national security of the United States. Ryan checked my pulse. I was seriously getting nervous about what this was and how it might change my life.

9:42pm

I saw a teenager's post on Facebook declaring that Osama Bin Laden was dead. I assumed it was a joke, but then saw reports start to come in that it was official. My heart rate immediately calmed down, but then the thoughts started racing instead.

10:00pm

Thought process: Why are we rejoicing in the death of a unbeliever? Would the same people who pumped their fists at Bin Laden's death not mourn even my death? Bin Laden was no greater sinner than I in the eyes of God, even though in the eyes of the world he was a "monster." I remember so clearly sitting in my room soon after he was declared the villain behind 9/11 and weeping in prayer for this man. I desperately longed for his redemption, and mourn tonight assuming that he will face eternal damnation. Why is the world rejoicing over this?

10:05pm

I have a heart-to-heart with my husband, who tries to understand, interpret and explain my feelings. Thankfully, we started seeing Tweets and Facebook posts from those wiser than us. For example, from Dr. Russell Moore: "The sword of justice, when exercised justly, is a minister of God's righteousness. Rom. 13."

10:15pm

I am choosing to find my joy in the justice and righteousness of God being put on display throughout the world right now. I am sorrowful in the death of an unbelieving sinner, just as would be the case with the death of any unbelieving sinner. I have wept because of the actions of one man, Osama Bin Laden, actions that cost the lives of thousands of men and women, and I weep now at the price he will pay eternally for his own sin; however, I will forever rejoice in the one act of one Man, Jesus Christ, an act that cost Him everything but that saved my life and the lives of each and every one of His children from suffering the penalty of our sins.

I am sorrowful, yet I will always be rejoicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment