Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Cycle of Misery

You know how there's that one Sunday school lesson that sticks with you for years? I've got one. I don't know why this is the one that keeps staying around, as there wasn't anything particularly meaningful about it at the time, but I think about it often.

It was "the cycle of misery" lesson.

I just finished reading through the book of Judges this morning. It's probably the first time I've actually made it all of the way through on schedule, and doing so made that cycle of misery stick out. Take a look:

2:2 - "But you have not obeyed my voice. What is this you have done?"
2:4-5 - "the people lifted up their voice and wept...and they sacrificed there to the Lord"
2:11 - "and the people of Israel did what was evil in the sight of the Lord and served the Baals"
2:18 - "the Lord was moved to pity by their groaning because of those who afflicted and oppressed them"
2:19 - "they turned back and were more corrupt than their fathers"
3:9 - "when the people of Israel cried out to the Lord, the Lord raised up a deliverer for the people of Israel"
3:12 - "the people of Israel again did what was evil in the sight of the Lord"
3:15 - "then the people of Israel cried out to the Lord, and the Lord raised up for them a deliverer"
4:1 - "and the people of Israel again did what was evil the sight of the Lord"
4:3 - "then the people of Israel cried out to the Lord for help"
6:1 - "the people of Israel did what was evil in the sight of the Lord"
6:6 - "the people of Israel cried out for help to the Lord"
8:33 - "the people of Israel turned again and whored after the Baals and made Baal-berith their god"
10:10 - "the people of Israel cried out to the Lord"
13:1 - "and the people of Israel again did what was evil in the sight of the Lord"

What a sad, sad cycle to be in! I find myself asking the Israelites - "Why? Why would you forsake a God over and over Who has been SO gracious to you?" Why do continue to go back to your own ways when He's proven time after time that your sole joy and satisfaction is in Him?"

Every time I ask those questions, though, I find the Israelites almost screaming back at me from the pages of the Word. "Why do you do it, then? It's the same God, gracious and full of compassion, the One Who continues to show you that He is your sole source of joy and satisfaction. Your sin is no less than ours. Why?"

It's a good question, and I wish I had a good answer other than my own pride, selfishness and sin. I am thankful, though, that Jesus Christ has redeemed me from the eternal curses that my sin deserves. I am thankful that even in my cycle of misery, I have a Savior.

1 comment:

  1. I have these thoughts often. I am in Exodus right now. I look at the people of Israel and think, "Really, how did you so quickly forget what God did for you?" Yet every time I do, I find my comments coming back to haunt me. Why do I do the same thing?

    I don't have any answers...

    just lots of questions. :)

    ReplyDelete